Palm Beach County has a Special Needs Program for citizens with certain medical problems during a major hurricane. The Special Care Units (also known as SCU’s) are facilities that have auxiliary power and are not located in a area at high risk of flooding during a hurricane. Physicians and nurses are assigned to Special Care Units by the Palm Beach County Health Department. Space is limited and based on need and established criteria.
You must pre-register with the County Emergency Operations Center at 561-712-6400 and have physician authorization. Your eligibility will be determined by the Health Department.
You may be eligible if:
• You are dependent upon electricity for oxygen.
• You have minor health/medical conditions that require professional assistance.
• You are dependent on medication.
• You are immobile and/or have a chronic but stable illness.
• If you are accepted, you will be phoned and provided transportation to the shelters if you need it.
You will need to bring:
• Full and up-to-date prescription medications
• Medical supplies and equipment, including oxygen
• Books, cards or board games to occupy yourself
• If you bring a caregiver, he/she has to bring a chair, something to sleep on, pillow and personal items
• Please bring your own dietary food.
No pets are allowed in the Special Care Units
Make pet shelter arrangements in advance.
Assistance will be provided for you
If you are unable to return home, assistance will be provided for you. Food is provided.
Speak with a Special Needs Coordinator
For further information about the Special Needs Program, call 561-712-6400 to speak to the Special Needs Coordinator.